top of page
Radio interferometry started in the mid-1940s on the outskirts of Cambridge, but with funding from the Science Research Council and a donation of £100,000 fromMullard Limited (a manufacturer of electron valves).
Construction of the Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory commenced at Lord's Bridge, a few kilometres to the west of Cambridge.
The observatory was founded under Martin Ryle of the Radio-Astronomy Group of the Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge and was opened by SirEdward Victor Appleton on 25 July 1957. This group is now known as the Cavendish Astrophysics Group.
The Observatory today:
Half of this site is still currently in use, while some of the dishes are no longer in use.
bottom of page